We know you are quite eager to make the perfect Onasadya to create this Onam warm and cherishable for all. Here’s something to make the feast truly fantabulous. Try this recipe of Mathanga Vanpayar Erissery this Onam.
Yellow Pumpkin – 2 cups
Black Eyed Peas( Vanpayar) – 1 cup
Water – as required
Salt – to taste
To grind to a paste:
Finely Grated Fresh Coconut – 1/4 cup
Jeera – 1/4 tsp
Green Chilli – 1 small
Turmeric powder – a small pinch
Coconut Oil -1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Small Onion – 5 sliced
Red Chilli – 1
Curry Leaves – a small sprig
Coconut – 2 tbsp.
All the ingredients available at OneDayCart
How to make:
- Peel the skin and remove seeds of the pumpkin. Chop it into cubes. Keep it aside in a mixer and add all the ingredients listed under ‘to grind’.
- Grind it along with some water to a slightly coarse paste,set aside.Pressure cook black eyed peas with enough water for 6-7 whistles or until soft.Cook pumpkin with required salt and water until it’s cooked to soft, mashable form.
- Mash it roughly with a ladle. Heat it up, add some water, coconut paste and let it boil for 3-5 mins until the raw smell of coconut recedes.
- Add cooked black eyed peas along with cooked water, required salt. Mix well. Keep in low flame and let it cook. Meanwhile in a pan, dry roast coconut till it’s nicely browned.
- Prepare the tadka – Heat oil. Add the ingredients listed under ‘to temper’ add onion only after the items splutters.Fry till onions turn slightly brown in colour. Add the tadka and roasted coconut, combine and let it cook for a minute.
The classic Erissery is ready. Serve hot with rice. Enjoy.