Potato is an incredible source of Vitamins and Minerals, they pack more Vitamin C than a tomato or orange have.
Potato is an incredible source of Vitamins and Minerals, they pack more Vitamin C than a tomato or orange have. Potatoes are starchy vegetable contain 60 kind of different phytochemicals and vitamins in their skins and flesh, and sweet potatoes are even more nutritious than the normal.
A Medium potato contains 26gm of carbohydrates, which is predominant in form of Starch. A small but significant portion of this starch is resistant to digestion by enzymes in the stomach and small intestine, and so reaches the large intestine essentially intact.
It provides bulk, offers protection against colon cancer, improves glucose tolerance and insulin sensitivity, lowers plasma cholesterol and triglyceride concentrations, increases satiety, and possibly even reduces fat storage.
The amount of resistant starch in potatoes depends much on preparation methods. Cooking and then cooling potatoes significantly increases resistant starch.
The storage and cooking method used can significantly affect the nutrient availability of the potato.
Health Benefits Potatoes
- Boost Antioxidants : Potatoes are packed with powerful nutrients and antioxidants that fight free radicals.
- Maintain Blood Pressure : Its have twice as much as the potassium content from bananas which helps control our blood pressure.
- Bone Health : Both Sweet and Regular Potatoes are good source of Manganese which helped prevent bone loss. A baked medium sweet potato with skin has 32% for your daily needs and baked regular with skin has 22%.
- Rev up Enzyme : Regular and Sweet potatoes are good sources of Vitamin B6, essential for more than 100 enzymatic reaction that are critical in creating red blood cells and certain chemicals in our nervous system.
- Heart Health : Potato’s fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6 are coupled to with and lack of cholesterol support the heart health. Fiber content lowers the total cholesterol in blood and decreases the risk of health diseases.
- Inflammation : Potatoes contain Choline, which is important and versatile nutrient that helps with Sleep, Muscle movement, learning and memory. Also Choline helps in maintaining the cellular membranes structure, aids in the transmission of nerve impulses, absorption of fats and reduce chronic inflammation.
- Prevent Cancer : Potatoes contain folate which play important role in preventing cancer cell formation through DNA synthesis and repair from mutation.
- Weight Management : Potatoes have compounds to increase satiety and reduce appetite, making you feel fuller for longer and thus this lowers the overall calorie intake.
- Skin Care : Potatoes have Vitamin C which is essential in preventing skin damage caused by the sun, pollution and smoke. Vitamin C also promotes collagen’s ability to smooth wrinkles and improve overall skin texture.
Potential Health Risks in Consuming Potatoes
- Potatoes that are sprouting & have green colouration have presence of solanine, toxin causes circulatory and respiratory problems as well as headaches, muscle cramps and diarrhea.
- Potatoes cooked above 120 degrees celsius, produce a neurotoxic chemical known as Acrylamide which has found to play role in development of several cancers and genes & reproductive health.