Cucumber belongs to the cucurbitaceae family including gourds, pumpkin and watermelon. Cucumber is a cylindrical juicy fruit which is widely used for culinary vegetables.
Watching your calorie intake ! Then cucumber is best pick. As per studies, in a 100gm serving, it contains 95% water, 16 calories, which will act a cooling agent in your body and give a instant refreshment.
5 Reasons to Eat Cucumber
- Reduce the Risk for Cancer : The three unique lignans ( pinoresinol, lariciresinol and secoisolariciresinol ) contain in cucumber may help you to lower the risk of cancer. Also the Cucurbitacins, which is a phytonutrient found in cucumber also have anti cancer properties.
- Gives Healthy Weight : Cucumbers have very low calories and more soluble fibre & water which will help in proper digestion. Also Cucumbers will reduce the inflammatory response in body by inhibiting the activity of pro inflammatory enzymes.
- Heart Health : Cucumber contains antioxidants such as beta carotene, quercetin, apigenin, luteolin and kaempferol which provide several benefits such as quercetin prevents histamine release, kaempferol fight cancer and lower risk of chronic diseases including heart diseases. Potassium content in cucumber lowers the blood pressure levels.
- Fresh Breath : Eating cucumber will release excess heat in your stomach which is a reason for bad breath. Also cucumber can rid bacteria from you mouth.
- Brain Health : Fisetin an anti-inflammatory flavonol present in cucumbers can improve memory and protect nerve cells from aging. The multiple B vitamin including B1, B5 and B7 buffers the feeling of anxiety and stress which help in maintaining emotional health.