Popular Malabar snack -Erachi Pathiri -Deep fried , stuffed bread usually made with meat filling.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 - 5
- 290 calories
- 135 grams of fat
- Chicken,boneless - 300 gms
- Kashmiri chili powder - 1.5 to 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Onion,finely chopped - 4 medium
- Ginger,finely chopped - 1 tsp
- Garlic,finely chopped - 1 tsp
- Green chilies,finely chopped- 2
- Coriander leaves,chopped - 1 to 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves,chopped - Few
- salt - to taste
- All purpose flour - 1.5 cups
- Whole wheat flour- 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lukewarm water - as required
- Eggs - 2
- To Prepare Filling-Cook chicken with kashmiri chili powder,turmeric powder and salt to taste.Allow it to cool and shred it using your fingers.Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,add onion and saute until it turns soft.Add ginger ,garlic , green chilies and salt.Saute for about 2 to 3 minutes or until raw smell leaves.
- Add coriander leaves,curry leaves and shredded chicken.Mix well and cook for about 5- 7 minutes over low flame.Keep aside ,until required.
- In a bowl,combine together all purpose flour,whole wheat flour,oil and salt to taste.Add lukewarm water and mix well.Knead to form a smooth and soft dough ( like chapathi dough).
- Divide this into 1 ” balls.Roll this into thin circles.
- Take one roti /pathiri and place 1 to 1.5 tbsp of the filling on it,leaving about 1/4″ edge.
- Place another roti /pathiri over the filling and gently press to seal the edges.
- Carefully turn the pathiri upside down.(this is done to evenly distribute the filling and also to prevent the pathiri from sticking to the board.)Pinch the edge and fold it inwards and repeat this to form a pleated border.
- Repeat this till all pathiris are done.
- Heat oil in a pan.Add the prepared pathiri and fry over medium-high flame until it turns golden brown,turning once in between.
- Drain onto a clean kitchen towel.In a bowl ,lightly beat the eggs using a fork.
- Heat a tawa/pan.Lightly grease the tawa.Now dip the fried pathiris in egg and place it on the tawa.Fry the pathiri so that the eggs get cooked on both sides. ( you can shallow fry the pathiris ,if desired)